During the Mexican War, Joseph, Simon, and Tryon Yancey Jr. all went from Holly Springs Mississippi to Vicksburg and enlisted 15 Jun 1846 in Company I of the 1st Mississippi Rifles commanded by Col. Jefferson Davis (later president of the Confederacy). They went first down the river to New Orleans where many became sick and then to the mouth of the Rio Grande to assemble where Tryon took sick and went back home and was discharged 21 Aug 1846. Joe and Simon took part in the battle of Monterrey but were discharged 24 Nov 1846 before the Battle of Buena Vista. I have found nothing more on Simon except that he died in Holly Springs 17 Nov 1853.

Tryon went home and was a printer's apprentice for awhile. He went to Sonora, Tuolumne Co., California during the Gold Rush. He worked for then bought a newspaper there. He was elected sheriff for two separate terms and died in office Jan. 12, 1898. He married Rosa Bailey Crowell of Maine in California.

Joe went to California, possibly without ever returning to Mississippi. In 1850 he became one of the first policemen in Los Angeles. He later went north of San Francisco and worked with a group cutting redwoods. In 1858 he and a party of men took a steamship from San Francisco to San Pedro then overland to Arizona to work the Ajo Mine in southern Arizona. He married Anna Joaquina Ortiz in Santa Cruz, Sonora, Mexico on 3 Sep 1859. She was the daughter of Ignacio Ortiz who with his brother Tomás owned the La Cañoa and Arivaca land grants which were south of Tucson. Anna’s great-grandfather, Geraldo, came to Mexico from Span in about 1750. Joe and Anna moved north to Tucson in about 1860 due to the Indians constantly raiding the mules he raised for the miners. About 1868 they went to California where Joe worked on the Warner Rancho for some time. He later was a stationmaster of the Agua Callente stop of the Butterfield Stage Lines. The 1900 census shows Joe and one of his sons-in-law, Wilbur Freemont Blake, at the Vanderbilt Mine which was near where Interstate 15 crosses into Nevada. Joe died at age 70 on 3 Sep. 1904 in the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers which is now the Westwood V.A. Hospital. He’s buried across the I 405 freeway in the Los Angeles National Cemetery.